NoiseNet Logo

NoiseNet Text

site search
members area
home directory ProInfo noise vibration contact

Noise > Environmental > Statutory/Noise Nuisance 2

Mainly UK content

Who can take what types of Statutory Nuisance Actions?
Under Section 80(1) Local Authorities, where they are satisfied that a statutory nuisance exists or is likely to occur, "shall serve a notice" requiring the abatement of the nuisance, or works necessary to achieve the abatement of the nuisance.  They can also (if they have adopted the powers) take a different form of action discussed elsewhere.

Under Section 81(5) a local authority can take a High Court action to secure an injunction, if they consider that proceedings for failure to comply with a noise abatement notice "would afford an inadequate remedy". The only such action that we are directly aware of, was when a boarding kennel owner either would not or could not pay his fines for non-compliance with a Notice,Best Replica Watches and because the noise was continuing, and the fines had not stopped it, the local authority took action under Section 81(5). This section states that it is a defence against actions taken under this section, to show compliance with a specific type of notice issued under the Control of Pollution Act, but Best Practicable Means [BPM] is not mentioned; therefore, the Courts may consider that BPM does not apply to a Sn 81(5) action.

We also understand that Wycombe District Council obtained an injunction under the above section against a rave organiser who had received a notice under section 80 and implied that he would pay the fine, there and then, as he would still make a massive profit after paying the fine. WDC applied for an injunction to stop the event. The threat of prison seemed to do the trick and the rave was cancelled and the local residents got a good nights sleep!

Under Section 82(1) a "person aggrieved by the existence of a nuisance" can go before a Magistrates Court to seek a court order along the same lines as the noise abatement notice, and such actions are criminal in nature and the defendant can be fined at the hearing when the order is made. A compensation order can also be made; see "Botross v Hammersmith & Fulham Borough Council" at Swarbrick and Co Solicitors. Note that unlike local authority actions, the nuisance has to exist, therefore "persons aggrieved" cannot take action over a nuisance which has not yet occurred; if appropriate we understand that you may be able to subpoena the Local Authority's Officers to give evidence. 

<<< Back to Introduction

On to Definition >>>


home directory ProInfo noise vibration contact

? Ltd 2000 - 2008 Terms & Conditions of Use











Visit our new site